Labels

Tuesday, February 7

Racist Rant Goes Viral

UCLA student, Alexandra Wallace, posted a disturbing video, called Asians in the library, on YouTube in the spring of 2011. The video contains of hurtful and thoughtless comments on Asians. In the clips, she describes how Asians lack in manners and she mocks at their accent and speech. Evidently, Wallace posted the video through YouTube on UCLA campus.
Viewers express their rage on YouTube comment section, but viewers like Jesus Barrera (from 10b) are not overly furious by the video.” I thought it could offend some people, but I didn’t take it seriously.” stated Jesus Barrera. Some critics find it humorous.”Honestly, I thought it was hilarious!” giggled Stephenie Navarro (from 10b). The majority of the viewers, like Raquel Galvan, find the video to be repulsive. “I felt offended. Like even though I’m not Asian, I was still pretty offended” commented Raquel (from 10a).
Like many others that have watch the video, my response is negative. I have mixed feelings toward Alexandra Wallace, who thoughtlessly posted the video on YouTube, and her merciless comments on Asians. However, as an Asian, I do feel that she deserves some criticism but not death threats. Lastly, I find it amazing how a few racist comment can bring a massive uproar of criticism, death threats, and nasty comment on one 3 and a half minute video.
In a society where racism and stereotypes are intolerable, you can imagine what can happen to a person when they think it’s okay to post a degrading video. Of course, people will be outrage on something that is purposely racist. Basically, most of the viewers of Asian in the library have strongly opposing reactions. However, there is something one can learn from the video: don’t be racist.
Article by: Mehrin Ali                                                                 modestopress.com